Research Immunohistochemistry Service
The Research Immunohistochemistry Laboratory is an integral and essential component of the Department of Pathology. It functions as the immunohistochemistry service of the BioRepository & Precision Pathology Center, with the primary role of providing specialized support to multiple basic and clinical investigators at Duke. The Research Immunohistochemistry Laboratory is a state-of-the-art facility that provides routine and investigator initiated immunohistochemistry testing. The expert staff provides assistance with the proper selection, and titration of the antibody using appropriate control tissues. The antibodies used in human tissue experiments are validated according to the College of American Pathologists (CAP) standards prior to their routine use in our lab which is accredited by the CAP.
We currently provide a chromogen based detection system. In addition to the traditional DAB/brown color, we use purple, teal, yellow and red chromogens, either singly or multiple chromogens in 2-plex, 3-plex and 4-plex panel.
In recent years, we have achieved considerable technical advancement in the area of multiplex immunohistochemistry. Traditionally, multiplex/dual stains have been limited to one primary antibody being mouse and the second one restricted to be rabbit. We now have the ability to detect 2, 3 or 4 proteins simultaneously on the same slide with all antibodies being either mouse or rabbit primary. Additionally, we are able to create multiplex panels with combinations of mouse, rabbit, rat and goat antibodies.
Hours of Operation: Monday-Friday, 8:30am-4:30pm
Designated drop off and pick up times: 9:30am-3:30pm
Location for Immunohistochemistry Services: Duke South Green Zone, Room 261M
Director: Shannon J. McCall, MD
Associate Director for Immunohistochemistry: Avani Pendse MD, PhD
Scientific Director: Zuowei Su Ph.D.
- Routine single antibody IHC stain on paraffin section with standard DAB/brown color (chromogen of investigator’s choice available; price may vary)
- Multiplex IHC for up to 4 antibodies using 4 different chromogens.
- For a new antibody not in the current BRPC menu, we offer optimization and CAP-grade validation
- Single antibody optimization and CAP-grade validation: $1,400.00
- Titration of multiplex antibody with optimization of the detection method: $1400 x number of individual antibodies included in the multiplex
- Single antibody on one slide:$36.00
- Multiplex on one slide: $36 x number of individual antibodies included in the multiplex
These antibodies are validated for human tissues:
AIF1, BM28, CD3, CD4, CD8, CD20, CD31, CD56, CD68, CK (AE1/AE3), CK7, CK47, CXCR3, Geminin (4B10.1), Interferon bate, LINE 1, MCP2, PIK1 (35-206), phosphor-Histone H3 (Ser10), Rb (4H1), TCR gamma-delta (H-41),
These antibodies are available for animal tissues:
ATRX (2900R), Cathepsin L, CD4 (SP35), CD4 (4SM95), CD8a (4SM15), CD31, CD45, CD45R/B220, Chromogranin A (CgA), CK7, Cleaved Caspase 3, EGFR (D1P9C), Furin, Glucagon, Insulin, Ki67, TMPRSS2
- Ventana Discovery Ultra automated immunohistochemistry staining system